My dear friend, you're about to make one of the most delicious vegan ice cream ever: coffee banana nice cream, the healthier alternative to classic ice cream. Best part? No ice cream maker needed, just a food processor. Oh and no added sugar except for dates.
This is a yummy and nutritious sweet treat, perfect for Summer and if you have a sweet tooth. Can't wait for you to try this refreshing healthy snack!
What is nice cream?
If you're craving something sweet, but you want an healthy alternative the answer is nice cream. If you don't know what nicecream is, let me explain.
Nice cream = banana ice cream. Basically frozen bananas, blended into a food processor and flavored with everything you can imagine (read below!). Simple as that.
Recipe ingredients for a delicious healthy vegan ice-cream
For this recipe you'll need just a few simple ingredients:
Frozen bananas, to be specific. The riper they were before freezing, the better and the sweeter the nice cream will be. So when you're not sure what to do with those overripe bananas you have on the counter, but you also don't want to make banana bread, then espresso banana nice cream is the answer (it's also vegan and dairy free!).
For a rich coffee flavor I highly recommend that you use instant espresso powder, but if you don't have it you can use regular (liquid) espresso. Just know though that the overall consistency will change a tiny bit.
Dates + Vanilla + Chocolate
To give even more flavor and sweetness to my nice cream I like to add a couple of Medjool dates (I LOVE THEM - gives some natural sweetness + extra healthy benefits). Then a touch of vanilla (I'm not able to do without it!:)) and chopped dark chocolate because coffee and chocolate together are PERFECT.
How to make this coffee chocolate banana ice cream
This nice cream recipe is not only made with simple ingredients but it's also very easy to prepare (as usual, we love simple recipes, right?):
- Slice your overripe bananas
Yes, take those overripe ones (look for brown spots!) you left on the counter for too many days and cut into ½ or 1-inch chunks.
P.S. banana is the main ingredient so they better be good!
Put your banana pieces into a freezer-safe container (it can be a ziplock bag), making sure you keep them separated so they don't overlap.
Better if you use a high-speed blender for this: the more powerful it is, the less it will take to blend and the less it will melt, so it will have the perfect nice cream texture (which is different from a traditional ice cream).
I usually blend the banana slices with dates (or maple syrup), espresso powder and pure vanilla extract. You can also add a bit of plant milk, for a softer consistency. Then pour it into a loaf pan, and add your favorite mix-ins: cacao nibs, almond butter, dark chocolate chips... To make it even yummier: top with more chocolate.
- Serve or freeze again
Serve immediately or, for a firmer texture, freeze again. But not completely or it will be too hard (remember we have no added sweetener except for the dates, so this dessert easily crystallizes).
And your healthy ice cream alternative is ready.
Different flavors/add ins can be: green tea matcha powder, cacao powder, coffee, chocolate, fresh berries and other fresh fruits, dry fruit, mint, cocoa powder, coconut, yogurt, vegan yogurt... Oh, peanut butter banana & strawberry banana ice cream are both soooo good. Best thing? You can make it and immediately eat it! That's like a dream, right?
How long can I store this for?
You can store this nice cream in the freezer. However, you will have to take it out some minutes before serving so it will melt a bit (and reach the consistency of soft-serve ice cream).
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a rating and leave a comment! It would make me so happy! 🙂
Remember: if you try one of my recipes, tag me on Instagram or DM me the photos!
Coffee Nice Cream Recipe
- 2 Frozen bananas
- 2 teaspoons Instant coffee powder - or 5 tablespoons of espresso coffee (liquid) - but this will change consistency a bit
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract - (optional)
- 20 g Chopped dark chocolate - (or more)
- First and only step: blend the frozen banana (always keep in the freezer some bananas!) with dates, coffee and vanilla. Blend until it gets to the perfect consistency and serve with some chopped dark chocolate.
- The necessary ingredients to make this coffee nicecream are obviously banana and coffee, better if you use instant coffee so you won’t have any liquid that will ruin the consistency (EDIT: I've tested this also with liquid espresso and it's sooooo good, not ruined by the liquid!)
- You can skip dates or substitute with honey or agave/maple syrup. Vanilla extract give an extra touch but it’s not essential.
- Enjoy your nicecream! Don't thank me!
- I have noticed that, to get the perfect nicecream, it’s better to use a very powerful blender. The more powerful it is, the less it will take to blend and the less it will melt, instead it will have the perfect nicecream texture. If it melts, you can obviously put it in the freezer for some minutes until it’s firm.
Do you like coffee? Try this super simple cardamom coffee granita! Delish!
© Healthy Little Cravings - Roberta Dall’Alba.
I own all content and photos’ copyright.
Before using my photos and recipes, please email me.
If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.
A good recipe; I used instant coffee decaf. Thanks.
Thanks for making it!:)
Super disappointed with this recipe. I have a super powerful blender and the coffee didn't disolve.
Hi Emma. I'm so sorry you are disappointed. This recipe though has been tested (and approved) several times, so in this case I am pretty sure it's not the recipe but probably the type of coffee you used.
Have you followed the recipe to the letter?