My dear friend, you're about to make one of the most delicious vegan ice cream ever: coffee banana nice cream, the healthier alternative to classic ice cream.
Best part? No ice cream maker needed, just a food processor. Oh and no added sugar except for dates.
This is a yummy and nutritious sweet treat, perfect for Summer.
Can't wait for you to try this refreshing healthy snack!
This coffee banana nice cream recipe was born a few years ago...
This healthy treat was my favorite in Summer 2017.
When I tried it for the first time, I was like '😳😳😳🤩🤩🤩'.
Yes, these emojis perfectly describe my face when I ate a spoonful of this healthy banana nice cream again.
If you've been following me for a while you know I've been re-shooting old recipes.
So yesterday I decided to re-test this recipe (and then take photos of it) and oooooh my gosh.
I immediately realized why this was my favorite healthy dessert at the time.
You guys, sometimes it's impossible to use words to describe something so SCRUMPTIOUS, so my only advice is: TRY IT and lemme know!
Perfect to satisfy your sweet tooth...
You know, some days it happens that you really want something, but you can’t have..ahem, eat it. I mean, you reeeeeally crave it.
Take me, for example: in these last few days, I've been craving traditional ice cream so badly.
But you can’t eat it every day, right?
Well, you could, but it would be slightly unhealthy because store-bought one is processed and usually packed with too many fats and refined sugars (but if eaten every once in a while, it's ok!)
Another option is buying it at one of those artisanal ice-cream parlors where it's made with high quality ingredients ...and lots of love 🙂
Good news for those of you who don't want to buy regular ice cream though: there's a cheaper and healthier option (for us with a sweet tooth)!
Nice cream = banana nice cream!
Yup. The answer is nice cream.
If you don't know what nicecream is, let me explain.
Nice cream = banana ice cream.
Basically frozen bananas, blended and flavored with everything you can imagine!
Different flavors can be: green tea matcha powder, cacao powder, coffee, chocolate, fresh berries and other fresh fruits, dry fruit, mint, cocoa powder, coconut, yogurt, vegan yogurt... Oh, strawberry banana ice cream is soooo good.
Best thing? You can make it and immediately eat it!
That's like a dream right?
Of course you can also store it in the freezer. However, you will have to take it out some minutes before serving so it will melt a bit (and reach the consistency of soft-serve ice cream).
How to make this coffee chocolate banana ice cream
I know I just listed a million possible flavors, but coffee is my favorite nice cream.
I love my shot of espresso after lunch - just like I said in my coffee granita recipe post - but warm weather forces me to opt for other options, fresher ones, like this nutritious treat.
Making it is extremely simple (as usual, we love simple recipes, right?)
- Slice your overripe bananas
Yes, take those overripe ones (look for brown spots!) you left on the counter for too many days and cut into ½ or 1-inch chunks.
P.S. banana is the main ingredient so they better be good!
Put your banana pieces into a freezer-safe container (it can be a ziplock bag), making sure you keep them separated so they don't overlap.
Better if you use a high-speed blender for this: the more powerful it is, the less it will take to blend and the less it will melt, so it will have the perfect nice cream texture.
I usually blend the banana slices with dates (or maple syrup, coffee powder and pure vanilla extract. You can also add a bit of almond milk, oat milk or coconut milk, for a softer consistency.
Then add your favorite mix-ins: cacao nibs, dark chocolate chips...
To make it even yummier: top with more chocolate.
- Serve or freeze again
For a firmer texture, freeze again. But not completely or it will be too hard (remember we have no added sweetener except for the dates, so this dessert easily crystallise).
And your healthy ice cream alternative is ready.
Also a great way to start your day in Summer!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to give it a rating and leave a comment! It would make me so happy! 🙂
Remember: if you try one of my recipes, tag me on Instagram or DM me the photos!
COFFEE BANANA NICE CREAM / VEGAN
- 2 Frozen bananas
- 2 teaspoons Instant coffee powder - or 5 tablespoons of espresso coffee (liquid) - but this will change consistency a bit
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract - (optional)
- 20 g Chopped dark chocolate - (or more)
- First and only step: blend the frozen banana (always keep in the freezer some bananas!) with dates, coffee and vanilla. Blend until it gets to the perfect consistency and serve with some chopped dark chocolate.
- The necessary ingredients to make this coffee nicecream are obviously banana and coffee, better if you use instant coffee so you won’t have any liquid that will ruin the consistency (EDIT: I've tested this also with liquid espresso and it's sooooo good, not ruined by the liquid!)
- You can skip dates or substitute with honey or agave/maple syrup. Vanilla extract give an extra touch but it’s not essential.
- Enjoy your nicecream! Don't thank me!
- I have noticed that, to get the perfect nicecream, it’s better to use a very powerful blender. The more powerful it is, the less it will take to blend and the less it will melt, instead it will have the perfect nicecream texture. If it melts, you can obviously put it in the freezer for some minutes until it’s firm.
Do you like coffee? Try this super simple cardamom coffee granita! Delish!
© Healthy Little Cravings - Roberta Dall’Alba.
I own all content and photos’ copyright.
Before using my photos and recipes, please email me.
If you would like to republish a recipe, please link back to this post and re-write the instructions in your own words.