This post is also available in: Italiano
In this post you’ll find my version of vegan avocado gelato. Are you as excited as I am?!
Look at this.
I mean, should I say something or does it speak for itself? It’s vegan avocado gelato inside avocado shells! It’s completely EDIBLE! How crazy is that?
I think you already know that I go nuts for trends right? Yes, yes, I know. It may be stupid, but I love experimenting recipes that others invent. It’s a funny way to try new things, also weird stuff sometimes. In this way I also never “close the door on” anything.
As long as it is eatable, of course…
About avo-lato, vegan avocado gelato…
Putting real ice cream into avocado shells unfortunately was not my idea (I wish!!!).
I saw this avo-lato about a month ago on my Facebook feed and I immediately thought ‘Ok, I have to do this!’
The concept comes from Silvia Gaetta, Italian gelato chef based in London, who works at Snowflake Gelato in Wardour Street, central London.
In this video, she shows how she makes the vegan sorbet using avocado pulp, sugar syrup, pectine, fibers and lemon juice. Keeping it really simple (and we love easy stuff right?)
Instead, the stones are made of Peanut Butter ice cream (with flex seeds and nuts).
Dairy free, vegan and preservatives free. Silvia you’re my hero! And if you’re curious like me, here’s her sketch (found on her public FB profile): here!
You’ll see that my version is even easier than the original. I’ve only used 5 ingredients in total: avocado, dates to sweeten in a healthier way, almond milk, lemon juice and added some cocoa powder to make the ‘stones’. Please try it and let me know!
VEGAN AVOCADO GELATO
- 180 gr Frozen avocado pulp
- 3 Medjool dates
- A splash Almond milk
- A quarter of Lemon - (the juice)
- Cocoa powder
- Cut in half your avocados (I've used baby avocados).Freeze the avocado pulp. Save the shells, wash them gently and freeze them as well.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the avocado pulp together with lemon juice, pitted dates and a splash of almond milk to help blending. Take about a couple of spoonful of mixture and add some cocoa powder.
- Pour the mixture into a container (and the choco mixture into a small cup) and freeze them both.
- When it's frozen but you can still scoop it, put some of it into the avocado shells then flatten with a spatula. Freeze again.
- To make the holes for the stones I've used a melon baller.When the cocoa ice cream is frozen enough, scoop with the baller and make the balls. Then roll them onto cocoa powder and place them into the holes. (so weird to explain:| )
- Freeze and eat whenever you want.