This post is also available in: Italiano
In this post you will find the recipe for an amazing dessert: cherry galette with cardamom crust!
I feel a bit sad if I think that Spring is almost over and we will soon have to leave room and move into boiling hot Summer. But then I am happy again if I think that cherries will stay with us for at least one month more. SO SO happy!
Under this pic (the above), on Instagram, I wrote that cherries are my all-time favorite fruit since I was a little girl. I used to eat them A LOT, everyday, since the season began and up until it ended. In Italian we say that cherries are ‘una tira l’altra’, which means they’re addictive. They seriously are and I rarely make things with them, because I like them raw.
However, this time, I wanted to bake something with them. I just had bought a bunch of beautiful, juicy cherries – last week – and I asked you on IG stories what should I do with them. And Lena DMed me…
Thanks Lena for this amazing idea…
I mean, seriously, I wish these ideas were mine: 1. to put cardamom into shortbread pastry, 2. to make a cherry galette with it, 3. to finish it with sliced almonds on top.
This galette is just PERFECTION. I don’t have any other words to describe. Ok, maybe I’m biased because cardamom is in my ‘Top 5 Favorite Spices’ together with coriander, pink peppercorn and… oh, it’s ‘Top 3 Favorite Spices’ then.
Lena, I couldn’t be more grateful! (visit her at Lena Kitchen Blog). What a discovery!
Yes, it has butter in it…
You rarely see me using butter in this blog (and I rarely use it in real life actually), but this shortcrust pastry (my mom’s recipe, you saw it here) needs it! Remember, it’s a treat, so it won’t be “damaging” (awful word! No food damages you, just to explain…). Eat a piece and enjoy it!
For the shortcrust pastry:
- 225 gr Organic all purpose flour - (00 flour)
- 70 gr Cane sugar
- 3/4 tablespoon Ground cardamom - (from pods)
- 125 gr Cold butter - high quality!
- 1 Egg - at room temperature
- 1 gr Salt
- half a teaspoon Baking powder - level
- 1 Lemon zest - optional
For the filling:
- 350/400 gr Cherries
- 1 or 2 tablespoons Icing sugar - optional
- Lemon zest
To top the crust:
- a bit of Egg white
- few Almond slices
- In a food processor, mix flour, cane sugar, egg, cold butter, salt, ground cardamom and baking powder in a food processor. Pulse until it resembles fine bread crumbs. DO NOT OVER MIX otherwise the butter will melt.
- Slightly dust your board with flour, place the pastry on top, push it together and gently kneed it.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for at least one hour (I left it overnight).
For the filling:
- In a bowl, combine a bit of sugar, cherries and lemon zest. Let it chill in the fridge.P.S. you have to pit the cherries, obviously.
Now ready to make the cherry galette!
- Divide your dough into two pieces, roll them out like they're flatbread (not that flat!), place cherries in the middle and fold.You can also use a cast iron skillet like I did.
- Brush with some egg white and almond slices.
- Bake the cherry galettes at 200° Celsius for about 30 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.