This post is also available in: Italiano
In this post you will learn how to make DIY healthy wedding cupcakes, flavored with Earl Grey Tea.
Royal wedding approaches…
In 2011, when Kate & William got married, I was lucky enough to visit London just one month before the Royal Wedding. I say ‘lucky’ because I LOVE these events. The city was amazing, the little shops all over London were covered with Royal Wedding gadgets (no matter how I love these kinda things, I didn’t buy anything), the atmosphere was just too exciting!
And now, 7 years later, I’m here anxiously waiting for Harry and Meghan marriage (that happens to be tomorrow, actually today when you’re reading this). I know, it could seem silly to you but you know…I’m an eternal romantic.
I’m an eternal romantic and I won’t stop being it…
I’ve always been like this. I strongly believe in love. Love is energy, it’s something we cannot explain.
Actually, wait. We love food, right? Then think of love this way: it’s just like the science of baking. We have ‘ingredients’, ‘directions’ and ‘rules’ to follow. Then you also may encounter outer factors (I vaguely talked about this on this post last week) that change everything.
Love is just like pastry-making. It’s made of emotions, the ingredients of Recipe Love, then you can decide to follow directions or not and you probably will always have external factors that affect the final result. But who really knows what this ‘result’ is?
I know, I know…my usual stream of consciousness.
Anyway, I seriously am an eternal romantic. Some years ago, when me and my boyfriend became a couple, I used to write and send letters (like our grandparents used to do), make little gifts more often – whenever I thought of him – and so on… I also used to be moved when we saw a sunset hugged together. I still do (maybe less). Hurray for us romantic people!
DIY Healthy wedding cupcakes, Earl Grey tea flavored
A couple of days ago I was inspired by this amazing floral cake I saw on Instagram (that, in turn, was inspired by the upcoming Royal Wedding). My brain started thinking of what I could do instead. Let’s kill two birds with one stone, I thought. Let’s make something inspired by this Royal Wedding but still feasible in other occasions (like YOUR wedding!). Therefore I came up with these DIY healthy wedding cupcakes flavored with Earl Grey tea. SO British, am I right? I mean, there’s tea, there’s honey that works so well with tea…
Because they’re fifty-fifty whole wheat and all purpose flour, you still have fiber in the batter and this makes them healthier than the regular ones. Then I used milk + lemon juice to make a sort of buttermilk. As a result, they’re extremely light and fluffy despite the higher amount of bran in them.
Recipe was inspired by these Easter bunny cupcakes by Sarah Fennel.
Earl grey cupcakes
- 3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil - or other oil
- 50 gr Honey
- 1 Egg - at room temperature
- 35 gr Whole wheat flour
- 35 gr All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- a pinch Salt
- 40 gr Milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- few drops Vanilla extract
- 1 Earl grey tea bag
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Line 6 cupcake molds with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a cup, combine milk and lemon juice and set them aside (this will substitute buttermilk, in a certain way). After five minutes heat it up and infuse the tea bag.
- In a bowl, mix the oil and honey until emulsified (1 or 2 minutes).
- Add in the egg and beat until batter becomes thicker. Add the vanilla a few drops of vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, sift the flours. Then gradually add them to the wet ingredients. Alternate it with the milk+lemon. Do not over-mix.
- Add salt, baking powder and mix one more time.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for 15/20 minutes.I've used bigger molds and made three bigger cupcakes.
- NOTE: if you want to do nice-looking cupcakes decorate with little flowers (or frosting!)